[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pro Pinball • View topic - what's the weight of a pinball machine?

what's the weight of a pinball machine?

To be the first of the new ULTRA Editions

what's the weight of a pinball machine?

Postby Fildron » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:05 pm

speaking of real machines - is their weight approximately the same or very different? what would be the weight of a real T! machine? and how is it distributed? I could imagine that this matters for nudging. just curious to take this into account before planning to build a cabinet.
Fildron
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Re: what's the weight of a pinball machine?

Postby insx » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:40 pm

According to the specs from Williams:

Tales of the Arabian Nights: 113KG
Monster Bash: 136KG
Medieval Madness: 169KG

Hopefully the Ultra Editions will have a decent calibration system to suit analogue nudging in cabinets of all sizes and weights.

Weight distribution is hard to say. The heaviest part is the playfield with its many coils. I would say that the backbox is somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of the total weight.
insx
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Fildron » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

This leads me to believe that a T! machine would be somewhere around that range as well - 100-something KG.
I estimate the final weight of the cabinet to be around 60KG ... maybe I could put some bags with sand inside to add some extra weight :)
Hmm, I guess I've got to sleep this over...

Did anybody finish building their cabinet yet, and if yes, do you know how much it weighs approximately?

I don't have access to a lot of different real machines in my area but I'm curious - is there a noticeable difference between playing a heavier and a more light weight one?
Fildron
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Vince » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I've often thought about the nudging of digital pinball; all of them, including the original Pro Pinball games, seem to have huge nudge powers. Perhaps Chuck Norris could nudge a real table that violently, but perhaps the legs would snap off the table if he did.

I was going to wait until the first alpha build with working nudge showed up before mentioning nudge strength and realistic simulation, but since you guys bought it up perhaps Ade could comment when he reads this thread.
Vince
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby insx » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:12 pm

I guess if you wanted that level of realism you could use sand bags, or some paving slabs or something. At least you could remove them if you needed to move the machine.

I have a half scale cabinet that I'm guessing weighs about 20KG. It is very hard to get the calibration right so that analogue nudging feels right in Visual Pinball. A decent calibration system within the game would help a lot.
insx
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Fildron » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Fildron
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby insx » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:15 am

I weighed my mini cabinet, it is just under 22KG. That's a big sheet of 8mm MDF, 22", 15" and 7" monitors, some computer hardware, speakers, a piece of glass, cables, controller, buttons, etc. My machine doesn't have legs at the moment. It's a nice weight because I can lift it reasonably easily and take it somewhere in the car.

I went with an SSD drive so that I wouldn't be constantly banging a hard disk about. My monitor has a strong metal frame so I'm not worried about it.
insx
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Fildron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:41 pm

Using the same material a full scale cabinet would probably not weigh much more than 40 KG. I didn't plan to move it around a lot especially not by car but it certainly won't hurt to consider it.

My HDD will be a fast SD card with a tailored Linux setup so I'm not worried in that regard.
I intended to make some tests with an accelerometer to measure the force that affect the particular spots in the cabinet during a nudge.
The reason of my concern was a cell phone that fell from a distance less than 40 cm on carpet and had received serious damage to the display or the connectors. But since I understand it the way that you are already using yours to play VP without worries I will probably safe the effort for something else.

Thanks for the info insx :)
Fildron
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby insx » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Actually, you can't just double the weight. When I say that my cabinet is half scale, everything is halved, length, width and depth, which actually means an eighth of the volume of a full size machine (and a quarter of the screen size). All things being equal, a full sized cabinet would weigh 175 kg but all things aren't equal and air weighs almost nothing.
insx
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Fildron » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Fildron
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Next

Return to Timeshock!