What are your favorite pinball simulation games?

Anything pinball but not directly related to Pro Pinball

Re: What are your favorite pinball simulation games?

Postby pinwolf » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 pm

I have downloaded but not tried till now.
That's the crux with Future Pinball. It's like owning a virtual basement bunker-complex full of pinball tables ... and they all have to be constantly maintained... :mrgreen:
Asus Z97 Maximus VII GENE w. Intel Core i7-4790K OC @ 4x 4,6GHz | MS Win 8.1| 16GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB| SAMSUNG S24A450BW | Logitech F510
pinwolf
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby pcraenme » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 pm

I know... FP has become quite difficult to maintain with all these different physics verions... Standard, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and Zedpinball. Some tables are specifically modified for one certain version, others play well on multiple versions. But it's totally free, so I won't complain. :D
PC:Intel Core i5 3570K | MSI Geforce GTX 660ti PE | 16 GB | W8.1 Pro 64bit & W7 64bit
Phone:iPhone 4 | iOS 7.1.1
Phone:iPhone 6 | iOS 8.4
Tablet:iPad Air 128GB WiFi | iOS 8.4 | iCade Core
Tablet:Nexus 7 2013 32GB | Android 5.1.1
pcraenme
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Lance_Boyle94 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:20 am

In no specific order, my favs are...

The Pinball Arcade (360/Android)
Pro Pinball series (PC)
Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies (PC/PSP)
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (Wii)
Super Pinball II: The Amazing Oddysey (SNES)

As for more game-y titles...

Devil's Crush/Devil Crash MD (TurboGrafx/Genesis)
The Pinball of the Dead (GBA)
Metroid Prime Pinball (DS)
Lance_Boyle94

Postby Tabe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 pm

My list would look something like this:

1) Pro Pinball - love all four tables but BRUSA on the PC and The Web on Sega Saturn are my favorites

[big dropoff]

2) The Pinball Arcade/Zen 2 - Both on PS3. These really are tied for me. I like the real tables on TPA but I like the polish and generally better presentation of Zen 2.

3) Pinball Fantasies - PC version. Mainly Party Land though all four tables are great.

4) Crystal Caliburn - PC version. Spent way too much time playing this back in college.

5) Night Mission Pinball - Apple IIe.

Other favorites: Devil's Crush on Turbo Grafx 16, Extreme Pinball (PC), Adventure Pinball (PC), and many, many others that I've forgotten.
Tabe

Postby Vince » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:06 am

'Favourite' you say. Well, in terms of my feeling that the physics are 'good' I'd say:

Pro Pinball: Fantastic Journey followed by the rest. FJ 'feels' right to me.

Pinball FX2: This game feels spot on to me too. Some times all the video stuff distracts me, but sometimes it's cool; the new Star Wars tables are a great laugh. I'm always bitching on at Zen to make some more electro-mechish tables like Tesla, but I guess a lot of customers like the unconstrained video modes.

The Pinball Arcade: Now don't taze me bro's but I just don't like the physics of TPA. I know from forum lurking that most seem to think the physics the best thing since sliced bread, but it just feels well 'wrong' to me; I'd say that the FX2 physics are head and shoulders above. Sure the FX2 ball 'feels' lighter, like aluminium rather than steel perhaps, but that given it just feels better to me. Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad the game exists.

I say my 'favourite' list would follow the above physics list. It seems clear to me that the new Timeshock's going to knock FJ and Zen off the top of my favorite list however.
Vince
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby pcraenme » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Today The Pinball Arcade finally came out on the PC platform via Steam. Having played it on iPad and PS3 already, I was quite surprised about how it played on the PC. My first impressions are that the PC version is better than PS3 and iPad. Not sure how to put it, but it 'feels' different. It also looks better, but I think the image could be sharper on a 1080p resolution.
I wonder if we will notice differences like these on the PP Ultra version of TS on the different platforms as well.
PC:Intel Core i5 3570K | MSI Geforce GTX 660ti PE | 16 GB | W8.1 Pro 64bit & W7 64bit
Phone:iPhone 4 | iOS 7.1.1
Phone:iPhone 6 | iOS 8.4
Tablet:iPad Air 128GB WiFi | iOS 8.4 | iCade Core
Tablet:Nexus 7 2013 32GB | Android 5.1.1
pcraenme
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby insx » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:01 pm

I've recently been pleasantly surprised at how good Visual Pinball is these days. I played it a few years back and the physics were not great, to put it mildly. I'm having good fun trying to win the Battle for the Kingdom in MM.
insx
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby ErikM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Yeah, I just picked up Pinball Arcade too. I don't have any of its other platforms so been waiting forever for the PC release.

It's fun but flawed. The physics are very easy, deliberately so according to the developers. Many shots have the collision geometry adjusted to be virtually wider and more accommodating than the real thing. And kickouts are not randomized, particularly on Twilight Zone you can catch the slot machine kickout on either flipper 100% of the time. I made LITZ on my first try, compared to a real machine where I make it about 1/10 games.

It's also got a nearly inexcusable amount of sloppy annoying bugs, balls clipping through walls and such, and lots of camera misbehavior doing idiotic things like locking on to the plunger lane during multiball. I give them some slack for dealing with ROM emulation on dozens of tables, compared to a Pro Pinball game being a single natively developed table. But come on, Pinball Arcade has been out for two years now, fix that stuff.
ErikM
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby ErikM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Well, Pinball Arcade is addicting enough that I'm running up the leaderboards there. I've got the #1 score on Star Trek TNG and Attack from Mars, #2 on Taxi and No Good Gofers, #4 on Cirqus Voltaire and Twilight Zone, and assorted other top twenties.

I do wish the physics were more sophisticated. Those high scores are about ruthlessly exploiting the predictable bounces and easily repeatable shots. And it was originally designed for touch UI, so playing on a PC with keyboard input gives an extra degree of precise control. Slap saves in particular are ridiculously easy - I effectively never drain SDTM except if it has to be done twice quickly and I've run out of tilt warnings.

But I still keep playing TPA anyway. Trying to finish all the tables (get some top score I'm satisfied with) before Timeshock Ultra comes out. Except Medieval Madness - I refuse to touch that one since I've never made BFTK on a real machine and don't deserve it in TPA's kiddie playground. :)
ErikM
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby insx » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:56 pm

I've just got Pinball FX2 up and running on my cabinet. I must say that I'm impressed, it's just a shame that they don't have proper cabinet support yet.
insx
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic