[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pro Pinball • View topic - Extending Hardware Support

Extending Hardware Support

Cabinet specific discussion

Re: Extending Hardware Support

Postby ChrissOnline » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:48 am

Yes (unfortunately). The exe file is there.
ChrissOnline

Postby neh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Boost is a library collection for C++. It seems to be considered as the standard library C++ should have shipped with in the beginning. In this case, Boost is used for interprocess communication between the game and the process managing the DMD.

The problem is that Boost seems to be C++ only. That's not a problem for 99% of what Boost is used for, but for interprocess communication we can end up with a process written in a different language than C++. More specifically, I'd like to write the DMD slave (that works with all DMDs) in C# (and DOF, the current standard for our solenoid/flasher/whateverelse is written in C# as well).

Looking at Boost's message queue code it seems to be using shared memory (I was hoping named pipes or something I would be able to grab without actually using Boost). I've tried compiling Boost as a DLL for loading through P-Invoke, but since all the IPC stuff are only header files, that didn't work.

Any idea from the devs about how to bridge this? Write my own DLL in C++ that wraps the two message_queue calls listed in your example? Or would consider supporting a protocol that can be used by other languages than C++? I already have the code for all DMDs working and don't want to rewrite everything in C++...

Nevertheless, awesome work guys. Finally a commercial pinball software studio that keeps its promises!
neh
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby adpag » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Attachments
PinDMD2Slave_XP_compatible.zip
(76.73 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times
adpag
Staff
Staff

Postby ChrissOnline » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:43 pm

A small leak will sink a great ship!! :mrgreen:

YES... now it works! The new patch is okay! (XP-SP3-32bit)
Sorry for using such an old OS on my cab... :|

I-LOVE-IT!!! A 20-year-old-dream-came-true! Thank you thank you thank you!

Next episode: Trying to get my Ledwiz-Flashers light up!
ChrissOnline

Postby Spitfire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:46 pm

You guys are awesome. As they say all good things come to those who wait and we waited a long time. But you have delivered. Cant wait to get my feedback working on my cab. Has anyone tried yet and got it working??
Spitfire

Postby adpag » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:01 pm

adpag
Staff
Staff

Postby adpag » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:03 pm

adpag
Staff
Staff

Postby neh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:25 pm

neh
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby neh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 pm

neh
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Pinball999 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:20 pm

DMD works like a charm here.

Ade, is there a thread to post issues found with the game?
Like the fact that my settings are not saved, but also a few other issues?

Thanks.
Pinball999
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Cabinet