Play Store promotions

Android phone and tablet discussion

Play Store promotions

Postby bdr9 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:30 am

I understand that when Timeshock was published in the Play Store, there were two versions made available, one for backers (a free app so they don't have to pay) and a paid app for non-backers who want to buy the game. However, Google today announced that they now allow app developers to create promotional codes in order to give users free copies of an app. This eliminates the need to have two apps because this could now be used to give backers a free copy of the paid app while still requiring new users to pay for it. It seems like this would be a good way to consolidate the Play Store offerings so that there doesn't have to be two separate apps to maintain. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of Ade or anyone on the Pro Pinball team who this may concern, in case they had not already heard about it.

More info: https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... er/6321495
bdr9
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby netizen » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:59 am

Google Play has had the ability to issue codes for free copies of apps for at least a year now; I was issued codes for free copies of apps on Google Play when I bought my Shield Tablet. I never understood the 2 versions of the Pro Pinball app myself.
netizen
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby bdr9 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:14 pm

netizen wrote:Google Play has had the ability to issue codes for free copies of apps for at least a year now; I was issued codes for free copies of apps on Google Play when I bought my Shield Tablet. I never understood the 2 versions of the Pro Pinball app myself.

Are you sure? All of the Android news sites are reporting that they added this feature just this week.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/12468 ... -codes.htm
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/14 ... lay-store/
bdr9
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby adpag » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks for the tip, I don't think any of us had noticed this. Will look into this further when doing the next Android update.
adpag
Staff
Staff
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:29 am

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby netizen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:09 pm

bdr9 wrote:
netizen wrote:Google Play has had the ability to issue codes for free copies of apps for at least a year now; I was issued codes for free copies of apps on Google Play when I bought my Shield Tablet. I never understood the 2 versions of the Pro Pinball app myself.

Are you sure? All of the Android news sites are reporting that they added this feature just this week.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/12468 ... -codes.htm
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/14 ... lay-store/



I bought my shield tablet in December of 2014, and was issued codes for Half Life, Trine 2 and Half Life: Episode 1 in January of 2015. So, yeah I am certain it's not "new" in the last few weeks.
netizen
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby Lio » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:53 pm

But those are pc games and not android apps... or am I missing something here?
Your mother ate my dog! :-)
User avatar
Lio
VIP Tester
VIP Tester
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby netizen » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Lio wrote:But those are pc games and not android apps... or am I missing something here?


You're probably missing a compatible Android device. All three games I mentioned have been ported to 'droid.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .halflife2
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lflife2ep1
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... yte.Trine2
netizen
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby bdr9 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 am

netizen wrote:
bdr9 wrote:
netizen wrote:Google Play has had the ability to issue codes for free copies of apps for at least a year now; I was issued codes for free copies of apps on Google Play when I bought my Shield Tablet. I never understood the 2 versions of the Pro Pinball app myself.

Are you sure? All of the Android news sites are reporting that they added this feature just this week.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/12468 ... -codes.htm
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/14 ... lay-store/



I bought my shield tablet in December of 2014, and was issued codes for Half Life, Trine 2 and Half Life: Episode 1 in January of 2015. So, yeah I am certain it's not "new" in the last few weeks.

That's strange. Maybe Nvidia has something set up specifically for their Shield tablets.
bdr9
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby netizen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:17 am

bdr9 wrote:That's strange. Maybe Nvidia has something set up specifically for their Shield tablets.


Google was the one responsible for issuing codes in the past, from what I can gather. They probably only really made any effort for large developers or hardware bundling.

From what I can tell they initially started promo codes in 2014, and this new change is to allow developers to generate promo codes on their own, with limitations on how many, and how long they are valid for. I assume that this became a larger issue for Google with more and more developers using an "open" beta testing system where their testers would have to pay, and then be reimbursed by the developer.
netizen
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Play Store promotions

Postby bdr9 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:20 pm

netizen wrote:
bdr9 wrote:That's strange. Maybe Nvidia has something set up specifically for their Shield tablets.


Google was the one responsible for issuing codes in the past, from what I can gather. They probably only really made any effort for large developers or hardware bundling.

From what I can tell they initially started promo codes in 2014, and this new change is to allow developers to generate promo codes on their own, with limitations on how many, and how long they are valid for. I assume that this became a larger issue for Google with more and more developers using an "open" beta testing system where their testers would have to pay, and then be reimbursed by the developer.


Ok, that makes sense. That would explain it.

Hopefully Pro Pinball can make use of this feature because it would be much cleaner and less confusing than having two separate apps in the Play Store.
bdr9
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:47 pm


Return to Android

cron