[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pro Pinball • View topic - Enthusiast testing / SLI support?

Enthusiast testing / SLI support?

Windows specific discussion

Enthusiast testing / SLI support?

Postby curthard89 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Hey guys,

Looking forward to the Alpha ... thought id mention I'm running a pretty powerful rig that consists of:

16GB 1866 ram
2 x GTX 690's ( aka 4 x 680 ) - 4 way SLI
i5 3570k running @ 4.6ghz

Rest is usual...

Will Pro Pinball support SLI? If so, how many cards? Games like Battlefield 3/4 Support 4 way, Splinter-cell supports 2 way with bugs etc.

Also is Pro Pinball OpenGL or DIrectX? - Im also a OSX developer / Object-C, so if you guys need any extra hands on Mac OSX version I can be of assistance with Object-C / AppKit / Cocoa frameworks.

Thanks guys
curthard89
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Re: Enthusiast testing / SLI support?

Postby Arrhae » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:18 am

I'm not a developer for the game, but here's some observations I've noticed:

Seeing as how the graphics will be pre-rendered, I wouldn't expect enough of a GPU performance hit to need SLI. I'd think that the main concern would be to make sure that having SLI enabled doesn't cause issues (Dropped frames, out of order frames, etc).

I took a peak at the lighting demo, and it appears to use OpenGL. I wouldn't be surprised if the full game does as well (makes sense if it's going to be cross-platform).
Arrhae
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby curthard89 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:23 pm

I agree - things like Rage which were OpenGL ran at about 12 FPS with SLI enabled which is out of this world, pretty sure one 680 would be enough as like you said, most is pre-rendered.

Chances are it would be OpenGL due to cross platform, but I have seen a few games that run DirectX version and a OpenGL version depending on platform, but that is almost double the development.
curthard89
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Brassn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Brassn

Postby Lio » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Your mother ate my dog! :-)
Lio
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Ade » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Open GL is indeed what we're using. I'm afraid there's no SLI support at the moment. The graphics are all pre-rendered, with the exception of the balls, which are realtime so they do pick up flashing lights etc. You can see the reflections in the start of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Yi3vCZH_s
Ade
Staff
Staff

Postby Brassn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Brassn

Postby mpad » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Working with pre rendered graphics has the big advantage that it gives you photo realistic (or better :)) images with very low hardware use. So that is very good for people with older machines or mobile devices.
I still hope the PP team uses the capability of modern gaming PC as best as possible for ball effects etc.

The big downside ( besides the disappointment for the enthusiasts here :)) is the loss in flexibility for resolutions, camera angles, etc. It is the main reason why you can't play the awesome old PP games on modern monitors / TV or even in the CAB.
I'm actually a bit worried how it will turn out in my custom built cab. I chose to install the TV where the glass on a real machine would be, so there's a chance that the angle will always be slightly off.

But... if it all looks just half as good as in the videos I'll be fine.
mpad

Return to Windows