How many have played Fantastic Journey?

A Victorian steam powered adventure

Re: How many have played Fantastic Journey?

Postby pinwolf » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:34 pm

FJ is my favorite PP table (second T!, then BRUSA. Never played The Web).
It has the best physics of all virtual pinball.
I like the theme and especially the colours. I can play this one for hours - it brings my brain in a ruminant state.
I actually like it, that it is difficult to play, - but with 'reduced gimmicks'.
Only classic style 2 Flippers - and it is all about strategic precision shoots. Every little increase of high-score now and then feels like a mature achievement.
I think it is the hidden jewel of the PP-tables. Designed for long time play - playing it, just for the sake of playing it - a kind of FLIPPER MEDITATION. :)
I can understand, that this is not for everyone - so I actually think it should get the ULTRA overhaul at last (more interest from the masses in the other tables - more money fundament for ADE&Co. to get the PP-series running a long time to come and bringing new tables for us all.

My only criticism:
Drop Professor Steam with his pain in the a** high pitched voice and bring in the lady from Timeshock!
With the "We can't stop now" from T! in Fantastic Journey, I could achieve PP-nirvana. :D
Asus Z97 Maximus VII GENE w. Intel Core i7-4790K OC @ 4x 4,6GHz | MS Win 8.1| 16GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB| SAMSUNG S24A450BW | Logitech F510
pinwolf
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Maggus DaOffenbachah » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:31 am

more interest from the masses in the other tables

I don't see a "mass autience" for the games, and thus as a non-expert player don't see myself as part of a mass either. Nevertheless I agree that the order TS, BRUSA, FJ and The Web (if the rest of the tables will hopefullly be realised) was the right choice for the Ultra editions, and PP has a devoted following willing to spend more on the tables than they might for other titles.
Maggus DaOffenbachah
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby emusik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:59 am

I´m a big big fan of T! Fantastic Journey is nice, but I think it´s very difficult. It seems, that the middle out through the 2 flipper arms is too wide. If you don´t hit the boiler the ball often flies through your flipper arms so this is a little bit frustrating. In Big Race USA you have therefore an big Airbag. Another thing I´m missing is a third flipper arm on the right side.

But, as Timeshok! runs only without any sounds on my machine I´ll give FJ now a new chance.
On actual machines with Win7 or Win8 it´s important to deactivate the blur function to have nice framerates.
Last edited by emusik on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emusik

Postby Maggus DaOffenbachah » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:06 pm

It seems, that the middle out through the 2 flipper arms is too wide

I tended to agree first, I often feel like "playing on the edge", but after a second look it seems to be more of an "optical illusion". The main problem (at least for me) is that it is harder to avoid that the ball rolls back between the middle of both flipeprs than on the other tables, since the table design forces me to play in a way that often leads to this.
Maggus DaOffenbachah
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby pinwolf » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Maggus DaOffenbachah wrote:
more interest from the masses in the other tables

I don't see a "mass autience" for the games, and thus as a non-expert player don't see myself as part of a mass either.

Zweh krauts versuchn änglisch mitnennader zuredn... ;)

I wanted to say 'majority of players' and you 'audience' of course. :)

Sorry, as a non expert in English language articulation, I too don't see myself as part of a mass here either.
I'm even never sure if - lock or luck is lit... :D
Last edited by pinwolf on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Z97 Maximus VII GENE w. Intel Core i7-4790K OC @ 4x 4,6GHz | MS Win 8.1| 16GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB| SAMSUNG S24A450BW | Logitech F510
pinwolf
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby emusik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 pm

You´re right. I small rubber pin in the middle of the two arms would be nice :mrgreen:

And yes, I always understand Lock is lit. I didn´t know that "luck is lit" is possible since I checked the tabel with max. zoom to see the flashes with the letters LUCK.
emusik

Postby Maggus DaOffenbachah » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Zweh krauts versuchn änglisch mitnennader zuredn...

http://www.welti.ch/wp-content/uploads/ ... _klein.jpg
Maggus DaOffenbachah
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Vince » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:56 pm

I only picked up FJ yesterday, it's on sale at gog by the way, and I think it's great. I like the simplicity of just two flippers, and the table design a lot. It may be a little hard on 'normal,' but it's easy to just press escape if you feel the need to make a game last; I'm no pinball expert, but on the 'very easy' setting I got a crystal on my first game. I love the way you need to keep the pressure up, but get to take as long as you need to make the arrow shots.

I would moan that the centre post is just a few millimetres too low; oh, and I hate all magno saves with a passion, I'm always too slow.

FJ may well turn into my favourite when I've worked it out a bit more.
Vince
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby pinwolf » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Vince wrote:...oh, and I hate all magno saves with a passion, I'm always too slow.

I play with this and have assigned nudging and magno on the left analog stick.
Flippers on the buttons on the front (not visible in the pic).
pinwolf
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby emusik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:23 pm

pinwolf wrote:
Vince wrote:...oh, and I hate all magno saves with a passion, I'm always too slow.

I play with this and have assigned nudging and magno on the left analog stick.
Flippers on the buttons on the front (not visible in the pic).

Cool idea!
emusik

PreviousNext

Return to Fantastic Journey