[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pro Pinball • View topic - How many have played Fantastic Journey?

How many have played Fantastic Journey?

A Victorian steam powered adventure

How many have played Fantastic Journey?

Postby cottonm4 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:06 pm

If you have played FJ, what is your opinion?

The more I play it the better I like it. I like the overall theme. When I started playing my Pro Pinballs a couple of years ago (after a several year hiatus), FJ was the one I was camping out with.

For longer sessions, the music agrees with me more as it is a little softer and not quite so driving. If I am to find fault, I think the table graphics might be a little too dark and could stand to be lightened up a bit.

Going back and forth between TS and FJ, I can definitely tell the difference in ball physics. The ball is very fast and has a gravity to it that is missing in the other three sims.

I look forward to T! Ultra and I want The Web. But of the four, I think an Ultra of FJ will be my main squeeze.

Where is everybody else on FJ?
cottonm4
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Re: How many have played Fantastic Journey?

Postby INK » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Did not like it at first. But when i gave it time, it is a really good table. Fun, too. Actually laughing out loud at times. Whish more pinball tables had more humour. Physics are really really good, but i was so accustomed to T! that it was quite hard to get used to. One thing that really bothers me though is that I can't play with highest graphics settings on my out of this world gaming computer, why is that? During multiballs it really stutters badly. Anyone got it working smoothly with highest graphic settings?
INK
VIP
VIP

Postby Penguinator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Penguinator
VIP
VIP

Postby INK » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:59 pm

INK
VIP
VIP

Postby Maggus DaOffenbachah » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:16 pm

I also like many things about it like the theme, effects and announcer, but as a non-expert player I don't come very far, it's much harder to play for me than the other tables. If I manage to play well the table is fun, also because of the many colourful effects and sounds, but it takes so much effort and tries for me to get there. The difficulty is why it ranks below BRUSA and TS for me, on the other hand it has improvements in comparison to its predecessors.
Maggus DaOffenbachah
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Vince » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Vince
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby INK » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:09 pm

INK
VIP
VIP

Postby insx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 pm

I like FJ but I never felt compelled to play and play and play to get wizard mode like I did (still do) with Timeshock. I don't like the shoot this, now shoot this, now shoot this gameplay rules very much. The table is very polished and I the contraptions are good fun.
insx
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby ErikM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:15 am

FJ was always my least favorite, for two reasons.

One, the physics. Even if it's more accurate than the earlier games, it's less fun and I always feel I'm fighting against it. The left lock lane in particular is just about completely impossible to shoot with a moving ball. The middle spinner lane and right boiler also feel a lot harder than they should be. I recently came across this thread on another pinball forum: http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2077 . It makes some excellent points about the mechanics of flippers. The targets on FJ feel like they are all placed out of line with the flipper sweet spots.

Two, a massive imbalance in the rules: the boiler awards totally dominate the adventures in terms of risk/reward. The adventures are single-ball modes highly prone to draining, while the boiler awards give all sorts of risk-free and reducing goodies like multiballs, kickbacks, magnosaves, video mode. And Double Playfield means the boiler outscores everything else too. High-level play on FJ means ignoring the adventures and only playing the boiler, which makes it pretty boring.

I do love the theme, and those concerns can certainly be addressed in a new edition, so it would be my pick for next after Timeshock.
ErikM
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby ah2190 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:36 pm

I do remember having FJ on the PS1, but I've never managed to get that far in it. At least, not enough to get any of the crystals. Still, it was an interesting game from what I've seen of it, and I hope that FJ gets updated with an Ultra Edition soon enough.
ah2190

Next

Return to Fantastic Journey