[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pro Pinball • View topic - Resolutions available in new Timeshock?

Resolutions available in new Timeshock?

To be the first of the new ULTRA Editions

Re: Resolutions available in new Timeshock?

Postby Penguinator » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:14 pm

The original TS! had four views: low, medium, high, and "cabinet" (ie. two-dimensional view from above) and as stated earlier in the thread, the developers aim to recreate all of them. Also, I find it kind of ironic that you something to satisfy your need for a "precise angle" but are ready to sacrife quality because most people wouldn't notice

Here's a comparison between the old and new Timeshocks, to be specific, a screenshot from the original game and a promo image released on Kickstarter from the early days of rendering, which shows pretty well what over 15 years of technological advancement means. Pre-rendering has the upsides of realistic graphics and low performance requirements, but gives the freedom of 3D and shorter development time away in return.

I won't post any comparisons to 3D games since the difference really is that obvious. The other developers are developing primarily for game consoles and phones, which by default means smaller resolutions, smaller textures, limited lighting and such. Also, they make games with loads of tables, which means the games get much less focus.
Honestly speaking, 3D tables could look much, much better, but pinball as a genre is really niche (ie. small developers on small budgets, mostly relying on crowdfunding) and if the majority of customers doesn't really care (ie. people who play a table for only five minutes before switching to another), the developers won't "waste" their time on graphics.
Penguinator
VIP
VIP

Postby RaviorMetal » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Please look,

In every software development project, theres a document where its written down what is needed and wanted, how its done and WHY its done like that.

Thats what I'm asking for, nothing else. Sorry, but YES, it is not easy to understand for everyone why things are done like they are done. That is what I wanted to be communicated here.

To be clear: I dont have any problem with the implementation which the developers decided for here.

What I'm asking is a question seemingly no one asked before. It seems that the answer for that is assumed by people in the community like you. I could assume the same! BUT! Again: Thats not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for a matter of fact which could be or even should be rather decided with scientific accuracy by someone of the Gamedesigners / Developers at some point in the Development-phase.

I'm sorry that I havent expressed myself like that from the start.
RaviorMetal

Postby Penguinator » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Penguinator
VIP
VIP

Previous

Return to Timeshock!