[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pro Pinball • View topic - Issue with original Kickstarter version

Issue with original Kickstarter version

To be the first of the new ULTRA Editions

Issue with original Kickstarter version

Postby Phlum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 pm

I've been playing Timeshock a lot lately, and it's recently started doing a really annoying thing which basically makes the game unplayable.
Every so often (an unspecified amount of time) while playing, my screen will go black for a second or two, before cutting back to the game. It does the same thing when I change screen resolution. Obviously in a game as crucial as Timeshock - or indeed any pinball game - this is not a good thing. It seems to be isolated to just Timeshock, as no other games seem to be having this problem - even those that don't run at my native resolution, as Timeshock doesn't (it runs at 1280x1024 while my native res is 1920x1080).

Again, this is the version provided from backing the Kickstarter. I have also tried the GOG.com version, but that seems to be an old version that oddly runs at a snail's pace.

Any advice would be appreciated at this stage, I really wanna play Timeshock :(
Just tried BRUSA as well, doesn't seem to do it on that.

[url="http://pastebin.com/hUkHD9yv"]DxDiag, if it's any use[/url]

Obviously Barnstorm aren't going to be working out any bugs on the original game, I'm just wondering (and hoping) it's something on my end I can sort out myself.

Cheers
Phlum
VIP
VIP

Re: Issue with original Kickstarter version

Postby twsh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Phlum,

I'm having troubles lately with timeshock! too. I use to play on an arcade cab with side buttons to play pinball games. Unfortunately the computer's motherboard recently broke down and it was too old to change for another similar. So I upgraded the main parts (motherboard, cpu and memory) and now the arcade cab has an AMD APU A6-6400K (Radeon HD 8470D), an Asrock motherboard and 4gb of memory. It is not a super computer but fairly enough to play arcade games and pinball.
So after this upgrade I'm experiencing a very weird problem. The ball movement is ok, but sometimes it accelerates making jumps from one point to another making the game unplayable.

I know bugs of the old Timeshock are not a priority (maybe never) but if anyone can suggest anything it would be very appreciated.

PD: sorry for my english. I hope you understand what I mean. :)
twsh
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby twsh » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm

FIXED :D

After trying different video/cpu drivers from amd and even a standalone gpu finally I realized what was going on. The culprit is a tuning software that comes with the motherboard. Normally I don't use this kind of software but every time I mount a new pc, specially if I assembly the parts, I think is a good idea to use some sort of software to monitor temperatures, voltages, etc. And that was the case. Every time I run the program Windows 7 changes its appearance turning off all the eye-candy (transparencies for example). After that change the game will not run properly. Now I think the problem can be reproduced so if anyone can do the test changing the windows 7 desktop to a basic settings it will corroborate my theory.
twsh
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby ErikM » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Hah, I had almost the same problem. Not the monitor blanking out, but Timeshock would inconsistently respond to flipper inputs, sometimes with a lag of a quarter second or so between hitting the key and the flipper moving. Turned out to be the ASUS motherboard monitoring program interfering somehow. When I closed that, then Timeshock played fine. The weird part is this never affected any other game though, just Timeshock. (I'm not sure if I tried BRUSA or FJ.)
ErikM
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby twsh » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi ErikM,

What a weird issue. In my case the asrock monitoring software don't use the standard windows api to draw its windows and maybe this feature force windows to change something internal. Maybe your asus software works in a same way causing this problems. Anyway, now we found out what was causing the problem we can reach the dawn of time again :mrgreen:
twsh
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby Fildron » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Fildron
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Return to Timeshock!