[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pro Pinball • View topic - About scoring

About scoring

To be the first of the new ULTRA Editions

Re: About scoring

Postby nudiustertian » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 pm

As long as we get the TS classic option for everything (and I don't see why we wouldn't), I'm fine with any optional change. For what it's worth, I like Quickshot Mania and Global Domination just the way they are. I do avoid Ramp Rampage unless I'm having a really good day... but I don't think there's a way to "fix" inherently difficult modes without watering them down completely. I can see RR stacking since nothing except TMF really uses the ramps (and these two stacking would be pretty silly), but QSM and GD are big enough that they should be their own modes. If QSM/GD were "take it or leave it, maybe you'll happen to make the shot, maybe not" they'd be less fun. The wizards need that high score, filthy casuals like myself feel good about taking what the table throws at them.

Well, except Dinosaur Stampede. If anyone tells you they like Dinosaur Stampede, they're lying. And should get trampled by stampeding dinosaurs.
nudiustertian

Postby INK » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 pm

I have nothing against any of the modes, i think they are all great. But i do feel that the scoring might be out of tune in some of them as compared to the difficulty.
INK
VIP
VIP

Postby ErikM » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:07 am

ErikM
VIP Tester
VIP Tester

Postby nudiustertian » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:19 pm

nudiustertian

Postby Kaede » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:02 pm

I was thinking about this just now.
The scoring system is one of the most important elements in a table.
Timeshock! is a very rich table but due to how the scoring system works, an experimented player playing for score will avoid several game modes entirely because of too low risk/reward ratio. This is poor balance.

IIRC what Erik says here has also been exposed by Tarek in his old FAQ (see http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/198357-pro-p ... /faqs/7090)
Of course it says the same thing about Quickshot Mania, for instance.
Here is what Tarek's FAQ said about his "most efficient strategy" (playing mostly with multiball) : "As I mentioned above, this strategy is very save, but also quite boring. It reduces the game to its basic features and you will never see all the great things Timeshock! offers when playing this way."

EDIT: spelling/grammar
Kaede

Previous

Return to Timeshock!